<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.natchatproductions.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Wonder Years..how much of this life can we do? : Discovering what's on your doorstep

Wednesday 6 March 2013

Discovering what's on your doorstep

I moved to St Albans in July 2010. I'd done a recce of the city, having cycled around on my bike, spent an afternoon on a date with my now husband which also involved an ice cream under a tree in Veralamium Park. I was pretty sold on this beautiful Roman city. Fast forward nearly three years, and hosting a breafast radio show and planning a wedding has meant I've been so busy that I only went into St Albans Abbey, yesterday for the first time. I wanted to have a chat with the staff at Abbots Kitchen for my next podcast on www.styleinmycity.com I've never had a cuppa there, as it's always so  busy, but it's so lovely inside. I'll definately be going back.


As I pootled back up into town, my curiosity continued as I popped into Raindrops on Roses www.raindropsonroses.org.co.uk - the gorgeous gift shop, selling lush items to raise money for the Herts Against Cancer Charity and found a couple of lovely Mother's Day pressies. Again my first time in, despite walking past several times.

I was in town to catch up with Leonie, organiser of St Albans Film Festival www.stalbansfilmfestival.co.uk and see how her nerves were holding out for Friday's launch. You can hear the podcast later today.

It was so lovely, basking in the sunshine as I proudly walked around my city, making new discoveries as well as popping into some established friends. As we're out on Saturday night at Darcy's www.darcysrestaurant.co.uk for a film festival party with a Hollywood glamour theme, I went to say hello to the lovely Leah at www.thegreenboutique.co.uk and get some inspiration from her beautiful gowns, all pre-owned but to be worn again. Once again there was a bargain pair of Jimmy Choos still too small for me.

You see, I've led a somewhat nomadic existence doing the job I do, often in radio you have to go where the work is,so end up leaving friends behind and it takes time to settle. I used to live in Brigton which I loved, for it's quirky commuinity and independent feel and I felt that when I moved to St Albans, which was another reason for moving here.

Now, for the first time since moving to St Albans it really does feel like I'm settled.

This is a special town, with a real community sense both on Twitter and in reality. I had an interesting chat with a friend the other day about the state of St Albans High Street now HMV is closing down and we both agreed that hopefully the independents will continue to flourish and the city maintains it's beautiful appeal as somewhere different. After all it ain't cheap to live here, so why shouldn't it be unique. Here's hoping the attention the film festival gives to the city this weekend and other exciting ventures maintains the magic this city offers. N x










Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home